About Intent HQ
Our mission is to help organisations have more genuine relationships with their customers by using data and machine learning to understand them on a human level and enable marketing personalisation at scale. We're a well-funded scale-up business, having raised £30m from several notable PE investors. We've had an initial focus in the telecommunications sector, landing some of the world's leading telecommunications brands including Verizon in the US and O2 in the UK.
Our clients typically have tens of millions of customers and billions of interaction events each day. We have developed our platform to handle data at this enormous scale efficiently. Intent HQ is unique because we've focused on understanding customer interaction data. We do the hard-specialised work leaving our clients free to focus on integrating the insight into their business, with one Client seeing an additional £26m annual revenue as a result of using our products and services.
Intent HQ is an exciting place to work, with a team of 75-people strong (and growing!), we have offices in London, Barcelona and New York and collectively speak over 15 languages!
We are looking for multiple experienced Mid/Senior Scala Engineers to join our friendly Engineering team, working alongside colleagues in the UK, Spain and USA. You will work within one of our squads, dealing with data ingestion and storage processes, customer ML analytics platform and insights and visualisation dashboards.
It's an exciting time for us as we are growing our team and looking for individuals who are passionate about technology, sensitive about client needs and collaborate well in a team environment.
What is in our stack?
You will work with a variety of technologies including:
- Scala to develop most of the backend code, including REST services, data pipelines, making use of FS2 functional streams data processes, Cats Effect, IO monad, Circe, Doobie, Http4s and other Typelevel stack libraries.
- Pair programming, testing and continuous integration and deployment as our daily development practices.
- Kafka, SQS as distributed messages systems.
- Github platform as git repository, issue tracker, continuous integration and package registry.
- Cassandra, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, S3, HDFS as the main data stores.
- Docker, Nomad, Terraform, Consul and Vault in the operational stack.
- Spark for transforming multi-terabyte sets of data into valuable insights.
What are we looking for?
- You must have some Scala or Java (8 and up) functional programming experience.
- You have microservices architecture and testing practices experience.
- You understand distributed application architecture.
- Experience with using CI/CD tools.
- You feel comfortable in an Agile/Lean environment.
- You can communicate well, and are willing to learn, listen and share knowledge with your teammates.
While we'd love if you have experience in some of our tech stack, don't be afraid by it — apply even if you don't, anybody can learn a new technology!
What will you do?
- You will face challenging problems and will need to find new solutions for them.
- You'll help us give back to the open-source community by contributing to the tools we use, and releasing new ones, for the benefit of everybody!
- Pair programming, peer review.
With us, you'll have many opportunities to improve and learn — if you care about collaboration, fault tolerance, trust, confidence, support, and experimentation, Intent HQ is the right place for you!
Working for Intent HQ, you have the opportunity to work with cutting edge technology in an environment where you are encouraged to think and act outside traditional methods. We are a growing business with a flat structure meaning everyone is visible and able to make an impact, not just in their own role, but across the business on a daily basis. We promote a collaborative, innovative and sociable culture, oriented towards performance and competitive advantage. Our DNA is made up of flexibility to all staff with a family friendly approach and focus on personal development. We have high expectations and pride ourselves on our cultural standards.
Diversity & Inclusion
Intent HQ is an equal opportunities employer with an ethos of commitment to promoting and practicing diversity, equality and inclusion at work. At IHQ, different perspectives, ideas and experiences are valued and respected, with fair and equal opportunities provided for all.
Benefits & Perks
- Flexible working hours
- 26 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Company Pension Scheme
- Free breakfast (when in the office)
- Friday night socials - virtual and in-person (Covid permitting)!
- Macbook Pro
- Income protection